Monday 20 June 2011

Approaching Death.


Al Salamu 'Alaykum.
Ibn Shimas al Mahri narrated: We went to `Amr ibn al ‘Aas when he was close to death. He wept for a long while and turned his face to the wall. His son said: Did the Prophet (saws) of Allah not give you several glad tidings? The narrator said: He turned his face (towards the people) and said: The greatest thing that we can count upon is the affirmation that there is no God except Allah and Muhammad (saws) is the Messenger of Allah. Indeed, I have passed through three stages (in my life) ; one in which I found myself averse to none other than the Messenger of Allah and there was no desire greater in me that I should overpower and kill him. If I had died in that state then definitely I would have been of the people of the Fire. When Allah instilled the love of Islam in my heart, I came to the Prophet (saws) and said: Give me your right hand so that I may pledge my allegiance to you. He stretched out his right hand but I withdrew mine. He (saws) said: What happened to you, O `Amr? I said: I wish to lay down certain conditions. He asked: What conditions do you want to put forward? I said: I should be forgiven. He said: Do you not know that Islam wipes out all past sins? Migration wipes out all past sins and Hajj wipes out all past sins? Then no one was dearer to me than Rasulullah (saws) and no one was more sublime in my sight than him. Never would I be able to gather enough courage to catch a full glimpse of his face due to his awe. So, If I was asked to describe his features, I would not be able to do that because I have not eyed him fully. If I had passed away then, I have every reason to believe that I would have been among the people of Paradise. Then we were responsible for some things (because of which) I am unable to know what is in store for me. When I die, do not let female mourners accompany my bier. When you bury me, fill up the grave well with soil, then stand around if for a time within which a camel may be slaughtered and its meat distributed so that I may enjoy your closeness and ascertain what I respond to the messengers (angels) of Allah.
Sahih Muslim with reference to Muntakhab Ahadith of Hadratji Mawlana Yusuf (ra).
Wa'laykum Salam.

No comments:

Post a Comment